Spencer Pratt Says He Will Quit L.A. if He Loses Mayoral Election and Take His Money Somewhere He Can Live the ‘American Dream’

by Charlie Lankston

Los Angeles mayoral candidate and former reality star Spencer Pratt has vowed to leave the city for good if he fails to secure victory in the June primary or the November general election—declaring that he does not want to raise his children in a place that is filled with "naked zombies."

Pratt, 42, threw his hat into the mayoral ring in January, having spent the previous year criticizing Gov. Gavin Newsom and Mayor Karen Bass' handling of the California wildfires, and the efforts to rebuild.

The former star of "The Hills" and his wife, Heidi Montag, were among the many Los Angeles residents who lost their home in the blazes—and the couple have since revealed that they do not have enough money to rebuild their property, a financial struggle that Pratt says many of his fellow Angelenos are facing.

Now, in an interview with comedian Adam Carolla, Pratt has declared that, if he is not elected as mayor, he sees no reason to remain in Los Angeles, stating that he does not feel confident in the future of the city under the leadership of his opponents, Bass and Nithya Raman.

"If Karen Bass gets reelected or Nithya [Raman] gets elected, I will be done with trying to live in L.A.," he said.

Pratt and Montag are among several Pacific Palisades homeowners suing the city of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) over the damage sustained to their properties during the wildfires—and the mayoral candidate expressed full confidence that they will come out victorious.

However, even they win the lawsuit, Pratt said he will take any money from the legal battle and use it to relocate his family if he is not elected, implying that L.A. is no longer safe for his two sons, Gunner, 8, and Ryker, 3. He referenced the "naked zombies" that he claims are roaming around the city in an apparent reference to L.A.'s homelessness issue.

INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA - APRIL 11: (L-R) Spencer Pratt, Gunner, Heidi Pratt and Ryker attend Monster Jam at SoFi Stadium on April 11, 2026 in Inglewood, California. (Photo by Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Feld Entertainment, Inc.)
Spencer Pratt has vowed to leave the city for good if he fails to secure victory in the upcoming primary or the November election—declaring that he does not want to raise his children in a place that is filled with "naked zombies." (Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Feld Entertainment, Inc.)

"I’m going to win the lawsuit against Gavin Newsom’s state park, and with that money, if I’m the mayor of Los Angeles, I will rebuild," he declared, but said that, if things don't go his way he will "take that money from the Newsom state park and the LADWP, and I’ll go somewhere that my kids will not have to see naked zombies, and I can have the last American dream somewhere."

"I will not rebuild if these people are in charge, because what would I be putting money into?" he asked.

Pratt's bold declaration about his future in Los Angeles comes after the former TV star faced backlash for claiming that he had been forced to move into an Airstream trailer on the site of his razed Pacific Palisades home, after it was reported that he had actually been living in the Hotel Bel-Air, while his wife and children are staying in a rental property in Santa Barbara.

The Los Angeles Times questioned whether residing outside of Los Angeles might impact his eligibility to run for mayor of Los Angeles—a report that he bashed in a furious social media rant in April, when he accused the outlet of writing a "hit piece" about him.

He explained in that clip that he had moved his wife and children to a Santa Barbara property that was being rented by his parents, who also lost their longtime home in the wildfires, but noted that he had used the money from his SBA Disaster Insurance to fund the purchase of the Airstream, which he had craned onto his Pacific Palisades property.

Pratt later featured the Airstream in an emotional Mother's Day video shared to his social media accounts, where he drew attention to the ongoing toll the wildfire fallout has had on his family.

In the clip, the family is seen taking up residence in the trailer property, with Gunner and Ryker caught on camera eagerly exploring the petite abode, after walking through the remains of their house for the very first time.

At one point Ryker broke down in tears in his mother's arms as she pointed out where their bedrooms once stood.

Spencer Pratt Reveals Parents Have Been 'Forced' to Sell Palisades Home Destroyed In Wildfires—Claiming It Will Cost Them '$10 Million to Rebuild'
Pratt and his wife, Heidi Montag, lost their Pacific Palisades home in the 2025 California wildfires, and the former reality star has been an outspoken critic of Gov. Gavin Newsom and Mayor Karen Bass' handling of the devastating incident. (TikTok/Spencer Pratt)
TikTok/Spencer Pratt
The former star of "The Hills" has previously stated that he felt he had to run for mayor to bring about necessary change in Los Angeles after the wildfires. (TikTok/Spencer Pratt)
Spencer Pratt House
Pratt and Montag have said they do not have enough money to rebuild their home (pictured before the fires). (Google Maps)

"This was where your bedroom was, remember? This was mama's room right here," Montag said as she indicated a specific patch on the property, while the youngster held back sobs.

Montag also revealed that her elder son, Gunner, also grew emotional while exploring the property that he called home for his entire life, telling the camera: "This is the first time the kids have been here.

"I think that they're trying to have a good attitude about it, but I did see Gunner almost crying up there. But they are so happy to be home. I think they're just happy to be home."

At the end of the clip, the family is seen sitting on chairs outside of the Airstream, toasting marshmallows over an open fire, before using them to make s'mores.

In a voiceover in the clip, Pratt praised his wife for the courage she has shown during what he described as their personal "hell," saying: "Heidi and I have been through hell together. No mom should ever have to go through what she's gone through.

"I am constantly in awe of Heidi. She's the most incredible mom to our boys. She's why I fight."

Pratt has previously shown off the space in various interviews about his mayoral campaign, which he launched in early 2026, saying at the time that, while he'd never had any desire to become involved in politics, he felt he had no choice but to "step up" and fight for the victims of the wildfires.

In February, Montag confessed to Gold Derby that she and her husband had been struggling to keep up with mortgage payments on the property, noting that they did not have enough money to even start the rebuilding process.

"Unfortunately for rebuilding, we just don’t have the finances. We barely could pay the mortgage on that house," she said. "We spent our whole careers to put a down payment on it.

Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt visit the site of their burned Pacific Palisades home with their children
Pratt recently shared an emotional video of his family visiting their destroyed home. (X / Spencer Pratt)
Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt visit the site of their burned Pacific Palisades home with their children
The family was seen camping on the grounds of the property in an Airstream trailer. (X / Spencer Pratt)

"We’re unfortunately in a place where we aren’t looking to rebuild, and we’re not really sure where to go. We’re kind of displaced at the moment. People don’t realize that a lot of people can’t rebuild."

Montag highlighted the changing landscape of the Palisades' housing market, noting that many of her neighbors have found themselves in a similar position—having purchased their dwellings decades ago, when house prices in the area were much lower.

"A lot of families bought their houses 40 or 50 years ago when it was a much cheaper part of L.A.," she explained. "It’s only recently become this enclave of luxury housing. It was never Beverly Hills before. A lot of these were generational homes that were passed down, and they can't rebuild. Unfortunately, for us right now, it's just not looking hopeful."

The pop star revealed that one of the most heartbreaking parts of her family's situation is the toll that it has taken on her young children.

"I think it's really hard for my 3-year-old," she shared. "He keeps asking to go home and I'm like, it's not there. He says, 'I'll push it back up. I'm strong.' Every animal he sees, he says their house burned down. So it's really continuing to affect him a lot."

The devastating fires, which broke out Jan. 7, 2025, destroyed thousands of homes and claimed the lives of 31 people, according to official records.

The two largest blazes—the Palisades fire and the Eaton fire—ripped through entire communities, razing hundreds of properties, many of which remain nothing more than empty lots.

Pacific Palisades, Malibu, and Altadena were all heavily impacted by the blazes, which erased an estimated $8.3 billion in home value from these areas, according to a data analysis by Realtor.com®.

GET MORE INFORMATION

Fred Dinca

Fred Dinca

Realtor® | License ID: 0995708101

+1(318) 408-1008

Name
Phone*
Message